Haiti’s electoral council says it will review the outcome of last month’s presidential election following violent protests against the results.
The council released a statement Thursday saying it will recount the votes for the three leading presidential candidates.
Earlier this week, the council said former first lady Mirlande Manigat and ruling party candidate Jude Celestin had advanced to a runoff vote. Michel Martelly trailed Celestin by less than 1 percent and, as the third-place candidate, would not be moving on to the second round.
Wednesday, thousands of people angered by the results took to the streets of the capital, Port-au-Prince, starting fires, throwing rocks and setting up barricades. Many of them are supporters of Martelly, a popular entertainer.