Terror plot at cricket tourney derailed, Interpol chief says

Interpol says it has stopped a possible terrorist attack on the cricket World Cup, which is underway in South Asia.

Interpol chief Ronald Noble told reporters in Islamabad Thursday that the agency was able last week to “identify, locate and arrest a terrorist” with the help of authorities in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the Maldives.

Noble said the man with criminal intentions was arrested on his way to the Maldives after leaving the Pakistani port city of Karachi.

The Interpol chief spoke at a press briefing alongside Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik. Neither official gave details of the suspect or the terror plot.

The World Cup is being hosted by India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. The three countries have increased security for the tournament, with India issuing a general alert for possible attacks until the end of the World Cup April 2.

This entry was posted in World News. Bookmark the permalink.