No hope for life in México for trapped coal miners

Mexico’s labor minister says there were no survivors from Tuesday’s deadly explosion at a coal mine in the northern part of the country.

The mininster, Javier Lozana, posted Thursday on his twitter site that there was no hope of life among the 14 miners who were working inside the facility at the time of the blast.

He told reporters a sixth body had been pulled from the site Thursday. Eight more miners remain missing.

Authorities say a methane gas buildup caused the explosion, which was powerful enough to severely injure a teenage boy working outside the mine.

Mexican President Felipe Calderón has ordered the attorney general’s office to open an investigation into the blast. The mine had been in operation since last month.

This entry was posted in Latin American News. Bookmark the permalink.