Downtown tourism office now in Banco Anglo building

Restored Banco Anglo is a downtown jewel. A.M. Costa Rica/Zachery McDonald

On Avenida Central, almost a block west of the Plaza de la Cultura, in the old Banco Anglo building, is the Oficina de Informacion Turistica. There are no signs outside identifying the office, but just inside the door to the left sits the office of Nelson Torres Sánchez.

Sánchez described his duties as a tourist assister and information supplier. He explains to tourists how to travel and different options to get around the country. The difference between what they do and the other assorted tourist information centers is that they will help with anything within their ability: Anything from safety tips, to maps of outlying areas or something as simple as help with a few Spanish terms.

The service is free and supported by the Instituto Costarricense de Turismo.

Sánchez is from the San José area and has been assisting tourists for 20 years. So he´s very helpful with bus routes for people unfamiliar with Costa Rica´s public transit system. He speaks Spanish, English and a little French.

Some 98 percent of Sanchez´s job is helping people, which he says he enjoys. The other 2 percent see him as the embodiment of the Instituto Costarricense de Turismo, and are unhappy. The office hours, for the moment, are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The location is a change from the front office of the Museos del Banco Central under the Plaza de la Cultura.

The Banco Anglo Costarricense was a public bank that
failed due to internal corruption in the 1990s. The central government has restored the building that is on the pedestrian mall that is Avenida Central downtown.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.