Escazú restaurant worker suffers burns in gas blast

Leaking gas at an Avenida Escazú restaurant ignited Monday and burned a woman employee.

A spokesperson for the Cuerpo de Bomberos said the emergency took place about 9 a.m. at the Restaurante Saga. Firemen were there 10 minutes later and found that the woman had burns on her knees and hands.

The gas came from a 500-gallon liquid petroleum tank. The fire agency reported that there were 2,106 similar emergencies in 2011 with 17 fires caused by leakage from liquid petroleum tanks. One explosion a week ago killed the operator of a small eating place alongside the Mercado Municipal in Paraíso, Cartago.

An hour and a half later firefighters were called to Llorente, Tibás, where an open fire ignited structures. By the time the blaze was ruled under control at 11:20 a.m. eight small homes had been damaged or destroyed. Some 17 adults and 19 children were evicted by the blaze. Fire fighters reported they were able to save many more small homes in the low-income Triángulo de Solidaridad.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.