The institution is the Liceo de Costa Rica, which is located on the aptly named Paseo de los Estudiantes in San José.
Many of the movers and shapers of the country’s history attended this school.
The Liceo was founded as part of the liberal reforms at the end of the 19th century. The president who signed the decree for the Liceo and similar institutions was Bernardo Soto Alfaro.
Until 1902, the school was located on Avenida Segunda, the same spot where the towering headquarters of the Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social now stands.
For much of its history, the Liceo was males only. The women went to the Colegio Superior de las Señoritas, which still is in operation on Calle 3.