Smoking is being blamed for the fire that killed a 76-year-old man in San Rafael de Heredia early Friday.
The Judicial Investigating Organization identified the man by the last name of Vargas. The Cuerpo de Bomberos said the man was rescued alive from the fire but that he died later at Hospital San Vicente de Paul from burns.
The fire agency said that the man was found in a large chair that contained flammable substances. He was disabled and had lost both legs, they said.
Both agencies said that investigators presume the man dropped a cigarette by accident into the chair.