Until the 1970s, there was an airport where Parque la Sabana is now, and this is a photo of the terminal and control tower that has been converted into the Museo de Arte Costarricense. The photo is from the files of the Archivo Nacional, which notes that the airport was put into operation in 1940 during the last year of the presidency of León Cortés Castro. Before gaining office,  Cortés served as director of the national archives. It is his statue that can be found in the park at the foot of Paseo Colón. International air service moved to Juan Santamaría airport after 1955, but when former U. S. president John F. Kennedy visited Costa Rica in March 1963, his aircraft landed in Alajuela but he arrived in San José via helicopter at La Sabana.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.