Smoking blamed in death of city man, 61, involved in house fire

A 61-year-old man is dead, and his smoking is being blamed by investigators as the reason his bed caught fire early Tuesday.

The man, identified as José Antonio Marín Porras, lived in the Sagrada Familia section of San José. Judicial agents were first alerted about the house fire at 2 a.m. They said that when they arrived at Marín’s house they  found the man already dead with severe burns over his body. Eight other persons were said to be affected by the fire, which produced water and smoke damage as well to an area measuring 127 square meters, according to the Cuerpo de Bomberos de Costa Rica.

Fire fighters said they were able to salvage nearly 300 square meters from the flames. This is the third death due to fire so far this year in Costa Rica, said the Cuerpo de Bomberos. Last year 23 people died from fires. That was the highest annual toll since 2006.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.