The area that is now between avenidas 3 and 11 may not have been the capital’s first industrial section, but the area certainly was important.
First the Fábrica Nacional de Aguardientes, as it was called then, went into operation where the Ministerio de Cultura y Juventud is now. That was in 1856. Two years later, the section was designated for water tanks for the liquor factory and the community.
In the 1880s there was the arrival of the railway, the nation’s first electrical generating station and then the main customs house and also the trolley terminal. The Antigua Aduana is now an exposition center and home to dancers and theater groups. The terminal still is there and a key element in the revival of the valley train.
Andrés Fernández, the architect and historian, will be addressing all these structures at a lunch Saturday. Participants will leave Alianza Francesa in nearby Barrio Amón at 9 a.m. for a walking tour.
There is an admission, and more information is available at 2290-2705 or 2222-2283.