Jacó developer freed from Pérez Zeledón jail after paying $1.5 million

Patrick Hundley, the owner of Daystar Properties in Jacó, left prison Wednesday after spending six months in preventative detention, according to his lawyer, José Manuel Echandí. Hundley was set free from his jail cell in Pérez Zeledón after posting $1.5 million in bail, Echandí said.

Hundley was put in preventative detention Feb. 17 for investigation of allegations of fraud involving a deal with Jacó real estate owners.

The lawyer added that Hundley was going through a medical examination Thursday to determine if he contracted any diseases from staying in the overcrowded prison containing lowly, unsanitary conditions that he described in a June letter. He said earlier that he was especially concerned about his client getting dengue because of how prevalent mosquitos are in the prison.

Hundley is involved in a separate civil case against the state as he claims the government wrongly imprisoned him for six months. Echandí said he’s confident Hundley will win the case against Costa Rica since the Ministerio Público and prosecutors never actually presented accusations against the real estate developer.

Echandí said he expected Hundley to return to Jacó by Monday.

An area real estate company called Lost Beach surfaced in July with an email that said it would be taking over management of flagship Daystar properties at Diamante del Sol, Bahia Encantada, Bahia Azul, La Paloma Blanca and The Palms, claiming mismanagement on the part of Hundley and Daystar. Representatives at Daystar said the company has been running without problems in the absence of Hundley.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.