Liberación lawmakers have a few words for Solís

Opposition lawmakers ripped into President Luis Guillermo Solís Monday as they criticized strongly his 100 days speech Thursday.

Monday was the first time that the legislature met since the speech.

The criticism came primarily from members of the Partido Liberación Nacional. The last two administrations in which the party dominated were cited for extensive corruption and irresponsibility by the president in his speech, even though he did not name names.

One of the themes was that the Solís administration has not defined a clear route.  Antonio Álvarez Desanti said that Solís needs Liberación if the president seeks to construct a new Costa Rica, but that he would like to know precisely what the president has in mind. Álvarez was the campaign manager for the major rival to Solís in the presidential elections. Johnny Araya Monge.

Juan Luis Jiménez Succar, another Liberación lawmaker, said that “all we have received from you and your minister of the Presidencia has been intolerance, offenses, aggressions and indifference.”  The minister of the Presidencia is Melvin Jiménez Marín.  Jiménez Succar is the Liberación party leader in the legislature.

He said that the time has come to put an end to the campaign and that the president ought to present proof of corruption to prosecutors. He called Solís mean and a hypocrite.

He also said, as did others, that the president

Antonio Álvarez

Antonio Álvarez

does not recognize the previous achievements of  Liberación.

Lawmaker Karla Prendas noted that Solís, himself, had been secretary general of Liberación.

Among the most notable offenses that Solís listed in his Thursday speech were the labor ministry paying pensions to people who were already dead and the former administrations in Casa Presidencial inexplicably losing 117 state-owned cars that still cannot be found.

“In the majority of public offices the chaos is unimaginable,” Solís said. “There has been corruption, corruption, and more corruption.”

The nation’s chief prosecutor has said his agency will investigate the claims of Solís. However, even the leading newspaper La Nación said in an editorial that Solís was not very specific in his allegations.

Later, Casa Presidencial said it sent a list of the 117 vehicles to prosecutors, but at least some may have been scrapped.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.