The Cuerpo de Bomberos, the Ministerio de Salud, the Hospital de Niños, the Ministerio de Seguridad and the Cruz Roja Costarricense have launched their annual campaign to protect children from explosive fireworks.
The Fuerza Pública will be reinforcing the efforts at the borders, they said, but they also will be patrolling the major highways for signs of fireworks transport. Despite the efforts, police have only located one case of fireworks. That was some 1,500 units being transported by a women police located in the bus station in San Vito de Coto Brus. That was earlier this month.
Fireworks smugglers will need more stealth because police will be keeping a close eye on the bus terminals. Most of the explosives are imported from the north and south.
Meanwhile, the Cuerpo de Bomberos is issuing a call to keep combustibles away from children in general. The effort comes after flames devoured the second floor of a family home in Altos de Moravia Sunday night. The cause has been listed as a child playing with a lighter in the principal bedroom. A bed caught on fire.
The fire agency said that children with combustibles is the 10th biggest cause of fires.