Dock service expected Sunday at Naranjo

Port officials say they hope to begin ferry service again between Puntarenas and Playa Naranjo Sunday. A temporary dock is being set up and tested over the weekend, said Luis Fernando Coronado, director of the División Marítimo Portuaria.

High seas and strong winds damaged the dock ramp earlier this month. The ferry across the Gulf of Nicoya is important to commerce and tourism.

Coronado was quoted in a release saying that during Semana Santa workers will begin the job of constructing a permanent dock.

Workers will test the temporary ramps without passengers or cargo Friday and Saturday. The agency expects service to resume with the 6:30 a.m. ferry that leaves Playa Naranjo for Puntarenas.

Coronado said that the work advanced well because the water was relatively calm. That may not last. The prediction for today, Friday and Saturday is for high seas in the Pacific. Constructora Náutica J y J S.A. is doing the job, and the firm installed four new pilings to accommodate the temporary dock.

A permanent ramp is estimated to cost 300 million colons or nearly $600,000.

Two new docks have been installed at Paquera to the south recently.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.