Judicial police continued to remove patient files from Hospital México in the investigation of deaths of those on a waiting list there.
The number of dead has been reduced to 138 persons from 141 because two persons on a list provided by the head of cardiology still are alive and one name was repeated, said the Poder Judicial.
Judicial police and prosecutors began accumulating files Friday when they took 123 from the Jefatura de Cardiología and the Archivo Médico at Hospital México in La Uruca. They began at 5 p.m. and ended work at 1 a.m. Saturday, the Poder Judicial said.
Prosecutors and police were back at work in the Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social Monday where complaints and document from an internal audit were confiscated.
Eventually the files will go to the judiciary’s medical experts for assessments, said the Poder Judicial.
Sofía Bogantes Ledezma, the cardiologist, went public with her criticism a week ago.
Hospital México in La Uruca handles delicate heart procedures for much of the country. One such procedure is inserting catheters into a vein to open up passages for blood flow. These procedures are what the cardiologist said were delayed and caused the deaths.
The hospital has been undergoing remodeling for the last year, and there have been many postponements of operations in all areas.
Dr. Bogantes said she had been complaining about the lengthy waiting list for two years. Lengthy waiting lists are the norm for the public hospitals operated by the Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social. However, hardly ever does someone with the stature of Dr. Bogantes link the waiting lists with deaths.