More denials from Casa Presidencial over supposed deal to officials

One problem leads to another at Casa Presidencial. Once again, an exiting member of the administration says that he has been offered an ambassadorship, presumably to go quietly.

The allegation has been denied by Melvin Jiménez, the minister of the Presidencia who supposedly made the offer. The foreign minister,  Manuel A. González, chimed in to say that only he and President Luis Guillermo Solís can name an ambassador.

This is the second time that an official said Casa Presidencial had made an offer of an ambassadorship.

Daniel Soley, the former vice minister of the Presidencia, made a similar offer to the procuradora general, Ana Lorena Brenes, she said several months ago. That claim was denied roundly, too. Solís wanted to get rid of her and find someone who was more attuned to his legal concepts. She is the government’s top lawyer.

This is another case of allegations building up over an executive branch misstep.

When the Ministerio de Ciencia, Tecnología y Telecomunicaciones made public a draft of a radio and television law two weeks ago, the electronic media was quick to condemn the text.

The proposed bill contained penalties to shut down media outlets if the government did not like the reporting.

The central government quickly disavowed the text, and Allan Ruiz, the vice minister in that ministry, was fired because of his role in drafting the law. It appears that workers at the ministry just cut and pasted laws from other Latin countries, some of them authoritarian.

Solís fired the minister, Gisella Kopper, over the weekend, too.

It was  Ruiz, who said Friday he had been offered a ministry.
Meanwhile, Jiménez at Casa Presidencial said the offending legal draft was the exclusive product of the science and technology ministry.  He said no one at Casa Presidencial had anything to do with it. Jiménez is the administration’s liaison with the legislature.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.