Multiple probes launched after allegations of Hospital México deaths

fter the revelation Wednesday by Hospital México’s chief cardiology, a handful of agencies are investigating.  The cardiologist, Sofía Bogantes, said that 141 persons had died because the institution was so far behind on operations. She said hundreds still were on waiting lists.

After interviews with the doctor ran on television and were displayed in the major newspapers, prosecutors, the
Caja Costarricense del Seguro Social, the Defensoría de los Habitantes and some lawmakers began probes.

The official one is by prosecutors and the Judicial Investigating Organization, which took documents, including records of some patients, from the hospital Thursday.

Such investigations are expected to take a long time.

Hospital México in La Uruca handles delicate heart procedures for much of the country. The specific complaint of the doctor is that operations to insert catheters were far behind. The catheters are tubes that are inserted into a vein and used to open up passages for blood flow.

The hospital has been undergoing remodeling for the last year, and there have been many postponements of operations in all areas. It is part of the Caja public health system.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.