Explosion causes fire in Naranjo

An early morning gas explosion in the Mercado Central of Naranjo injured one man and destroyed two storefronts Tuesday. Two other locations were damaged.

The man suffered first- and second-degree burns to a shoulder and forearm, said the Cuerpo de Bomberos.

Fire fighters said that the source of the blaze was in a small eating place in the sprawling, 6,500-square meter market. A pocket of liquid petroleum gas ignited, they said.

The blaze reached the roof of the structure. The man may have been changing gas cylinders when the pocket of gas reached an ignition source.

Fire fighters got the call at 5:35 a.m.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.