No new workers, says court president

There will be no employees added to the judicial payroll next year, according to the president of the  Corte Suprema de Justicia.

The court president,  Zarela Villanueva, said this Wednesday as she appeared before the  Comisión Permanente de Asuntos Hacendarios to defend the 2016 budget.

The judiciary already said that the $804 million budget would be about 5.48 percent higher than last year. The court president said that 43.2 percent of the budget was going to the Judicial Investigating Organization, the  Defensa Pública and the Ministerio Publico, which houses prosecutors.

The total budget for the year as proposed by President Luis Guillermo Solís is about $15.1 billion. Of that amount, the central government plans to borrow 46  percent, about $7 billion, to pay bills.

Also before the committee Wednesday was Alexander Mora, minister of Comercio Exterior. His budget proposal is nearly 25 percent less than this year, but he told lawmakers that the cut would not affect the ministry’s work in the coming year. The ministry budget is about $14.1 million.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.