Small fire routs women in labor at hospital

Some women on the verge of giving birth had to be evacuated from the  Hospital de las Mujeres Monday morning because a faulty air conditioner caused a small fire that sent smoke billowing through the facility.

In addition, some newborns were taken to other hospitals. No one was affected by the smoke, said fire fighters.

The Cuerpo de Bomberos reported some damage to a delivery room and smoke though much more of the building.

An automatic alarm alerted fire fighters at 9:32 a.m., and the agency responded with 12 vehicles and crews.

Hospital crews spent much of Monday disinfecting the areas that were affected by the smoke. The hospital staff said that the routine would be normal today.

The hospital is in Plaza Víquez not far from the railway Estación al Pacífico.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.