Costa Rica faces a decision on Cubans

The government is coming to a point where it will have to restrict the entry of Cuban migrants.

The national emergency commission said Wednesday that there are a total of 16 shelters housing the bulk of the 2,706 Cubans who have entered since the middle of the month. International estimates say the migrants might total as much as 45,000 a year.

The shelters are primarily churches and public buildings that have been converted into the use of the migrants. But that means the normal activities carried on there are not taking place.

In the canton of La Cruz alone, there are 11 shelters housing 1,954 persons.

The Dirección General de Migración y Extranjería announced Wednesday that plans are under way to renew the seven-day visas originally given the migrants.  That was before Nicaragua closed the border to the Cubans.

The visa extensions will be 15 days, said the immigration announcement.

Casa Presidencial reported Wednesday that talks are continuing among diplomats in San Salvador, the site of a ministerial level meeting Tuesday.

But there was no indication that a breakthrough had been reached.

Casa Presidencial said that México, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Panamá, Colombia, Ecuador and Cuba were disposed to help with the migrant crises. However, the extent of that aid was not outlined.

The migrants are trying to make their way to the United States where they probably can obtain residency under a 1966 law.

 Living conditions are close quarters as this photo from a Peñas    Blancas shelter shows.

Living conditions are close quarters as this photo from a Peñas
Blancas shelter shows.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.