Those living above the Nuevo Amanecer supermarket in Aserrí had a rude awakening Tuesday when flames engulfed the adjacent pizza establishment.
The Cuerpo de Bomberos said that they saved four adults and two children as well as the bulk of the structure.
The fire was confined to a kitchen, the pizza store and a storage room.
Fire fighters said that the 3:13 a.m. fire seems to have come from a gas leak that was ignited by the pilot light of a rice cooker.
Some 77 square meters, about 830 square feet, were involved and and additional 61 square meters of the supermarket suffered heat and smoke damage. That’s about 660 square feet.