The Culture ministry says the Festival de las Artes in August this year will be at a location yet to be determined in the southern zone.
The Centro de Producción Artística y Cultural of the Ministerio de Cultura y Juventud outlined plans for the festival and other productions Thursday.
Some 600 million colons ($1.13 million) is allocated for the festival, which will be called this year the Festival Nacional de las Artes.
Organizers have dropped the word international because participation is being restricted to Costa Rica participants and performers.
The ministry said that officials hope to have an international festival in 2017 and 2018 because they need time to approach other countries and foreign groups.
The festival last year was by all accounts a disaster that led to the firing of the minister and others involved in the event. There were scheduling problems, lack of sound equipment and other mistakes. The ministry was trying to bring the festival to locations other than Parque La Sabana, so events were scheduled in adjacent cantons.
The Centro de Producción Artística is receiving proposals from artists starting March 8 though April 9 for festival participation. There is a special Web site. The festival dates are Aug. 5 through 14.
Ministry officials said there was a budget of 750 million colons ($1.4 million) for the festival and several other events, including the Feria Internacional del Libro Costa Rica July 15 to 31, the Semana de Celebración Étnica y Pluricultural Aug. 24 to 29, Enamorate de tu Ciudad that will be held from April through June in five communities, the Desfile de Boyeros Nov. 26 and 27 and the country’s participation in the Feria Internacional del Libro Guadalajara.