Another rape by released inmate prompts revisions

The Ministerio de Justicia y Paz said Friday it would revise the system it is using to keep track of prisoners who have been released under a new policy.

The statement came after yet another victim was raped by a prisoner who had been released to what is called a semi-institutional location, basically a halfway house.

The latest rape of a boy took place in Guanacaste and followed by a few days a rape of a young mother in Pococí.

The ministry, which is in charge of the prisons, also said that it would reaffirm the principles that neither sexual aggressors nor persons who committed other grave crimes would be released before their sentence was up.

The ministry is trying to reduce the overcrowding of the nation’s prisons by
releasing up to 6,000 inmates before their sentences expire.

The ministry also said that the Instituto Nacional de Criminología revoked the semi-institutional status of both individuals accused of rape.

The ministry statement also included a lengthy defense of the system and the efforts to enlarge prisons. It also said that many inmates successfully complete the semi-institutional portion of the sentence without committing a new crime.

Fuerza Pública officers detained the suspect in Guanacaste. They said he was caught not far from the victim, who was under a bridge in Bebedero de Cañas, Guanacaste. Neighbors alerted the mother of the young male victim, and she alerted police, they said. The man, identified by the last name of  Marín, had two prior convictions for raping minor boys, said the Fuerza Pública.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.