A man sentenced to 12 years for attempted murder in April 2011 was out of prison four years later and participated in a violent home invasion in Nicoya. That was May 5 last year.
The Poder Judicial said Friday that the man has now been sentenced to 45 years in prison for the latest crime, which involved breaking into a two-home compound in Río Grande, Nicoya.
There the man, identified as Alexis Cordero Vallejos and other men systematically entered, terrorized and took the property of occupants of the homes.
The 29 year old received a sentence for two counts of aggravated robbery and seven of depriving individuals of their liberty, said the Poder Judicial.
The armed men put individuals they found in the first house into a bathroom and took items such as a chain saw, a microwave, an air gun and cell telephones.
Then they entered the second house as an occupant was closing the exterior gate. They tied up the man and two companions and then proceeded to loot the home. Among other items they took a motor vehicle.
Cordero has not identified his companions in crime.
The Ministerio de Justicia y Paz has been under fire for giving prison inmates the benefit of early release.