Action plan for migrants expected ready in September

Casa Presidencial reported that one illegal migrant, a Haitian, has been deported. But the solution to Costa Rica’s growing migrant problem may be a long way off. A vice minister said Wednesday that a plan to handle the migrants might not be ready until September.

The man who was deported had been held for using false documents, said the Presidencia. He was identified by the last name of Thello.  He had been held in a prison, but a judge dismissed the case clearing the way for his deportation Tuesday, said Casa Presidencial.

Many migrants have claimed to be African in order to create the impression that to deport them would be expensive. However, Costa Rican officials have concluded that the bulk of the latest wave of migrants really are from Haiti.

A reader in the southern zone has reported on migrants there speaking Haitian Creole.

The migrant situation may be worse because the government of Panamá appears to be allowing the migrants to pass through that country and to the border with Costa Rica.

The flow of migrants appears to have originated in Brazil. The reader said that there seems to be a flow of migrants over the southern border.

Costa Rica officials seem willing to allow the migrants to leave and head north even though they would have to violate the U.S. borders to enter that country. The migrant situation is even more confusing because Costa Rica just agreed to allow some 300 young people from El Salvador to stay in the country for a short time while the Obama administration arranges their travels to the United States. Republicans have called this a misuse of authority.

The youngsters are supposed to be those in vulnerable situations in their home country.

The vice minister who spoke to lawmakers Wednesday is Carmen Muñoz Quesada of  Gobernación y Policía. She told the Comisión Permanente Especial de Derechos Humanos that President Luis Guillermo Solís has set up a committee of ministries involved in the problem.

This committee is supposed to draw up what she called a plan of action that should be ready by September, she said.

Representatives of the Dirección General de Migración y Extranjería are on the committee.

This entry was posted in Costa Rica News. Bookmark the permalink.